This delicately flavored dish is made during weddings and celebrations all over the country and is loved by one and all. Chicken Reshmi Butter Masala is right up there in terms of complexity and flavor with the most well-known Indian recipes such as Butter Chicken Masala and Chicken Tikka Masala. I do not know if this dish which is also known as Murg Butter Masala is as well-traveled as the other popular Indian curries mentioned in the previous sentence. It is quite sad to think that Indian food all over the globe is synonymous with Butter Chicken Masala and Chicken Tikka Masala as there is so much more to Indian food rather than just these two dishes. How many countries can boast of completely different types of cuisine every 200 kilometers? I can only imagine the depth of Indian cuisine when I think of this amazing fact! I wonder if we have discovered all there is to Indian cuisine or have we just scratched the surface of true Indian cuisine.
With that being said, let me teach you how to make Chicken Reshmi Butter Masala at home with everyday ingredients found in any home. You will need some deliciously succulent Chicken Reshmi Kebabs. This is the most authentic recipe of these kebabs which I had posted on this blog a few weeks back and if you follow all the instructions given in that post, you will definitely end up with awesome Reshmi Kebabs. And best of all you can make them at home in an oven!
- Chicken Reshmi Kebab - 500 grams of Boneless Chicken Made into Reshmi Kebabs
- Onions - 3 Medium Sized, Peeled, Chopped and Boiled
- Ginger and Garlic Paste - 1 and ½ Teaspoons
- Garam Masala Powder - ⅓rd Teaspoon
- White Pepper Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts - 8 to 10 made into a Fine Paste
- Butter - 3 Tablespoons
- Cream - 3 Tablespoons
- Salt - To Taste
- Place a non-stick kadhai on the stove and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of butter and as soon as it has melted add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté till the butter separates from the paste.
- Immediately add the onion paste and stir. Cook till the raw smell completely disappears.
- Next, add the powdered spices and stir.
- Add the cashew nut paste and stir. Turn the heat down to low at this stage. The gravy will thicken up now.
- Add 2 tablespoons cream now and stir into the gravy. Allow the gravy to cook for 10 minutes on low flame. Stir occasionally.
- After 15 minutes add the salt and a bit of water if needed and stir well.
- Next, drop in the Chicken Reshmi Kebab and stir. Remember to keep the heat low.
- Let the Chicken Reshmi Kebab simmer in the gravy for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining cream and butter and stir. When you see the melted butter floating on top of the gravy, you will know then that your curry is ready.
- Let the curry simmer for 2 minutes more and then turn off the heat.
- Your Chicken Reshmi Butter Masala is ready. Serve with parathas or pulao or rotis and enjoy!
This is what you should end up with after following these simple instructions!
Did you know that Indian restaurants all over the world, boil large quantities of onions and then makes a paste of them? This paste is then used to thicken up the gravies you eat at restaurants and makes the food taste oh so nice!
Have you ever noticed that some curries taste better the next day? Well, Chicken Reshmi Butter Masala is one of them so if you have to make it for a special occasion at your home, do make it one day earlier and hear it up well the next day and serve!
So do make this recipe! You’ll love it and so will your family! Do let me know how it turns out for you!