This has to be one of the tastiest and delicious chicken recipes I have ever made. It’s unbelievably simple to make and can be made with just a few ingredients which are found in most household kitchens. Being a slow cooker recipe or slow cooking recipe, this winter special dish is loved by children and grown-ups alike as it is truly packed with the simple flavors of carrots, thyme, and garlic. My family loved this recipe and it was polished off in no time! This is the ideal winter stew and is best enjoyed with Super Easy Garlic and Butter Rolls which are straight out of the oven.
This dish seems to be inspired by Beef Bourguignon but believe me when I say that I read about this famous French recipe after I hade made my delicious version of Chicken Stew with Carrots. So it turns out that this simple chicken recipe is French inspired! My first ever French inspired recipe!
As always please do follow each of the following steps very carefully and only then will you get the best possible results with this recipe. At the end of this post, you will find a summary of important pointers which will help you in making this chicken and carrot recipe a super success.
- Chicken - 500 Grams Medium Sized Pieces
- Carrots - 500 Grams Imperator Orange Colored Carrots, Roughly Sliced
- Garlic - 6 Cloves, Peeled and Minced
- Butter - 2 Tablespoons
- Flour - 1 Tablespoon
- Dried Thyme - 2 Pinches
- Chicken Stock - 1 Cup
- Salt - To Taste
- Pepper - ¼th Teaspoon
- Place a large non-stick Dutch oven, which is a fancy and chef term for a deep cooking pot with a thick base, on a medium-low flame.
- Add the Butter and melt.
- Once melted add the Flour and stir. Smooth out any lumps which may form. Do this for a minute to a minute and a half. Lower heat if needed to avoid sauce from burning.
- Next, add in the minced Garlic and sauté.
- Once Garlic aroma arises from the cooking pot, add sliced Carrot and stir well.
- Allow Carrot slices to cook on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Carrot slices will now release their own delicious juices.
- Once the Carrot slices intensify in color, due to the cooking process, add the Chicken pieces and stir.
- Add seasoning and stir gently.
- Pour in Chicken Stock and stir.
- Cover with lid and let the stew simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, add Thyme and stir.
- Check tenderness of Chicken with a fork. If meat is not coming away from the bone with the least amount of pressure, cover and let the stew simmer for 10 minutes more.
- By now the Carrot slices will be mushy with soft bits. This is exactly what we need for this stew.
- Mash some bit of Carrots with the back of the spoon which forms a lovely part of the stew.
- Check tenderness of meat again. If the meat is coming away from the bone easily, the cooking is done.
- Check for seasoning and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh Parsley which is optional.
Important Tips –
- Use a cooking pot with a thick base as this prevents the contents from cooking too quickly.
- Cook this chicken recipe slowly as this will allow the carrots to slowly relase their flavor which is so important to this recipe.
- Adding chicken stock to this dinner recipe will add so much depth and flavor to this dish which is impossible with plain water.
- Using minimal spices will allow the natural sweet flavor of the carrot to be highlighted in this recipe. Carrots have a wonderful flavor if cooked properly.
- Butter will give this delicious chicken recipe a smoother taste than what oil can.
I do hope that you make this recipe soon as the most amazing carrots of the year are easily available now which are so much more sweeter than carrots from cold storage facilities.
I am sure that this recipe will bring you and your family much satisfaction both in cooking it and eating it as well.
Do share your comments and feedback in the comment section below. I’d love to hear from you.