This pure vegetarian recipe is dedicated to all my vegetarian readers and friends. My blog has so many non-vegetarian recipes it must be a total turn off for the vegetarians! I sincerely pledge to write more vegetarian recipes dear readers and firends! Today’s recipe is a Bengali food recipe but one which can also be found in the south of our amazing country. I had never heard of drumstick flowers been eaten but once I had tasted it, I was hooked for life!
Drumsticks are nothing short of amazing! The entire plant or tree is packed with health benefits. Even the roots of this amazing plant are so beneficial! I did not know about the goodness of this plant till I began writing this post and stumbled upon this blog called www.theayurveda.org while doing some research about drumstick flowers. Please, dear readers, do read this article and it will surely enlighten you about this awesome vegetable and plant. If I had to start writing about the amazing health properties of drumsticks there would be no place for the lovely vegetarian recipe. Yes, you can call this a vegan recipe too!
- Drumstick Flowers or Sojne Phul - 100 Grams Washed Very Well
- Potatoes - 2 Medium Sized Chopped Small
- Salt - To Taste
- Chilli Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Coriander Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Cumin Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Place a kadhai on medium heat on the stove.
- Add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough slowly add the chopped potatoes and sauté till they are ¾th done.
- When the potatoes are ¾th done, remove them from the kadhai and set aside.
- Remove most of the cooking oil from the kadhai. Leave just about ½ a tablespoon of oil in it.
- Drop in the drumstick flowers now and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt now so that the flowers release their water and cook faster.
- The flowers cook quickly and should not be overcooked so move quickly.
- Add the powdered spices one at a time and stir gently. Ensure that the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add more salt now if needed. Check seasoning carefully.
- By now the flowers should be half done. Add the semi-cooked potatoes now and stir in.
- Turn heat to low and cook for a maximum time of 5 minutes more.
- Serve immediately after cooking and enjoy with a simple daal and rice.
So there you have it! A perfectly healthy recipe prepared in minutes and it is oh so enjoyable. There are much more ways of preparing drumstick flowers but for some vegetables and vegetarian recipes, less is definitely more. Go easy with the spices and oil for this one. Don’t kill the taste and natural flavors of the blossoms. Don’t overcook this recipe either as you will end up wasting all the valuable nutrition and goodness of the tiny yet mighty drumstick flower. I don’t know why some people say that the flower is edible only after it is cooked because I popped a few into my mouth and lived to write this recipe.
I don’t know why some people say that the flower is edible only after it is cooked because I popped a few raw flowers into my mouth and lived to write this recipe!
I do hope that you make this recipe. Buy drumstick flowers from your local fresh markets and make it. It’s easy to make and needs no fussing over at all.