Easy Rajma Masala Recipe – Restaurant Style
There are a few recipes which are more loved than a Rajma Masala Recipe! Now Rajma and Jeera Pulao make me very happy! Very happy indeed! I have loved this recipe for years and I would place this recipe right up there with Biriyani (and I love biriyani)! I would be faced with a very serious dilemma if I were forced to choose between Rajma and a Biriyani! I hope that day never ever comes and I kid you not!
In this recipe, I will be teaching you hot to make a restaurant like Rajma Masala Recipe, yes it is one of the few vegetarian recipes on the blog, but unlike most restaurant recipes, the version I make is not over spiced or full of masala where the only taste you get is of chili heat and spices. That is not what Indian food is about and that is not food. Period.
Let’s get cooking and see what we need to make this awesome, pure vegetarian recipe!
- Rajma (Kidney Beans) - 2 Cups, Soaked in Water Overnight
- Tomatoes - 4 Medium, Pureed
- Onion - 1 Medium made into a Fine Paste
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 Teaspoon
- Jeera Powder (Cumin) - ¼th Teaspoon
- Kasoori Methi (Drie Fenugreek Leaves) - 1 Pinch Powdered
- Coriander Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - ¼th Teaspoon
- Salt - To Taste
- Fresh Coriander - For Garnishing
- Sunflower Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Butter - 1 Teaspoon
- Water - 2 Cups
- Wash Rajma well after soaking and drain out all the water.
- Place pressure cooker on the stove on medium-low heat and add Sunflower Oil.
- Add Onion Paste and saute till oil separates.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste and sauté till oil separates.
- Add fresh Tomato Puree and sauté till raw smell stops coming.
- Add Powdered Masalas and mix well.
- Add Rajma and stir well. Ensure that Rajma is well coated with masalas.
- Add Salt as per your preference and add 1 Cup of Water.
- Put the lid on pressure cooker and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, open the pressure cooker and check if Rajma is soft enough.
- Mash a few Rajma beans with the back of your spoon to thicken up the gravy and add wonderful texture and flavor.
- Check seasoning now as well.
- If Rajma is not soft enough, add ½ Cup of Water and place the lid back on the pressure cooker. Continue to cook for 10 minutes more.
- Once Rajma is soft as per your liking, thicken up the gravy if need me and serve hot and hot.
- Stir in Butter and garnish with Fresh Coriander if you want to.
- Enjoy with steamed rice of Jeera Rice Pulao!
You definitely need to keep the following tips in mind while making Restaurant Style Rajma Masala:
- Wash Rajma (Kidney Beans) very well after soaking as Kidney Beans have a mild toxin called ‘phytohaemagglutinin’ (I challenge to pronounce this word, I never even bothered to try it) or kidney bean lectin which can cause irritation in the stomach. But do not worry! With adequate washing and then cooking the Rajma very well, this toxin is absolutely harmless.
- Rajma has enough flavor of its own so do not go overboard with the spices while making Rajma Masala.
- Use good quality sunflower oil as it does not have a strong taste and is perfect for making mildly flavored curries.
- Always cook Masalas on a medium-low flame as they will cook evenly. If Masalas are cooked on a high flame then they will burn and make your entire dish bitter.
I do hope that you will and have enjoyed making and eating as much as what I surely have!
Do post your comments below and let me know how this recipe turned out for you!