Methi Malai Matar Paneer Recipe
This is one of those paneer recipes which you just have to make this winter! It is a simple and clean tasting dish which is so wonderful and delightful to eat. It’s a sheer joy to see a family member or guest put a spoonful of Methi Malai Matar Paneer in their mouth and smile with sheer pleasure which comes from the awesome flavor of this dish!
Methi has so many health benefits! It lowers blood cholesterol, reduces the risk of heart disease, controls blood sugar, aids digestions, aids in weight loss, helps in skin problems and helps in stopping hair loss and so much more! It’s a pity, we humans are destroying our earth and with global warming, we barely get a small window of winter and winter is when methi leaves grow full and plenty! If we had a longer winter we would be able to enjoy and reap the health benefits of methi leaves for much longer!
For this pure vegetarian recipe, we need very fresh paneer which has been made from full cream milk. We also need tender methi leaves which are not so bitter but still have a fresh methi flavor. Using fresh green peas for this recipe also takes it to a different level altogether. Just looking at it makes my mouth water!
The secret to making a wonderful and flavorful Methi Malai Matar Paneer recipe is to go easy on the spices and not to over spice the dish. If you add too many spices, you will overshadow the clean tasting flavors of the Paneer, Cream, Cashew Nuts and Coconut Cream and end up with a different dish altogether!
Here’s what we need and how to make this lovely recipe –
- Paneer - 300 Grams Cut into Medium Sized Cubes
- Fresh Green Peas - 1 Cup
- Methi Leaves - 1 Cup
- Coconut Cream - ¼th Cup
- Fresh Cream - 2 Tablespoons
- Ginger and Garlic Paste - 1 Teaspoon
- Onion - 2 Medium
- Cumin Seeds - ¼th Teaspoon
- Cardamom - 4 Whole
- Cinnamon - 1' Piece Whole
- Cloves - 2 Whole
- Cashew Nuts - ¼th Cup
- Salt - To Taste
- Sugar - ¼th Teaspoon
- Cooking Oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Peel and chop Onion and then boil it in water till translucent.
- Cool it down and then make a smooth paste out of it along with the Cashew Nuts.
- Pluck only the leaves of the Methi and keep 1 Cupful of it for this recipe. Wash well and set aside.
- Place a kadhai on low-heat. Add the Oil to it.
- When Oil is slightly hot, add the whole spices and sauté until fragrant.
- Then add the Ginger and Garlic Paste and sauté till the oil separates from the paste,
- Add the Onion and Cashew Nut paste and cook till raw smell disappears,
- Add a bit of water to help in the cooking process.
- Next, add the Coconut Cream and cook for a minute.
- Now add the Fresh Green Peas and cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- After 5 minutes, add the Methi Leaves and still. Allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- After that add the Paneer and stir very gently. Remember to keep the heat absolutely low.
- Add the Fresh Cream and stir in very gently. Allow to simmer for only a minute.
- Add Salt now and stir gently.
- Add Sugar and stir gently.
- After ½ a minute more of simmering, remove from heat and serve hot and hot.
- Enjoy with Roti or Pulao.
I do hope that you make this recipe soon! Do let me know how it comes for you I’d honestly like to know your feedback!