Last Sunday, for some reason, I woke up with an incredible craving for Chicken Rezala! It is one of the most delicious Bengali Chicken curries ever created! I’m not sure about the origins of this dish but it is said that Chicken Rezala has its origins in Bangladesh and has strong indications of Royal Mughlai flavors. Well, wherever this recipe is from, it’s simply amazing and I can never get enough of it. The smooth and light gravy is fantastic and absolutely aromatic. Chicken Rezala is one of the few Mughlai recipes which actually use onions as the main flavor of the dish. My version of this recipe, which is very close to what you get in the Kolkata Dhabas, turned out truly delicious.
The trick to this super delicious Mughlai recipe is to achieve a perfect balance of spices, onions, and meetha attar in a not so thick but extremely fragrant and tasty gravy. You have to be careful to use just the right amount of poppy seeds and cashew nut paste as well otherwise you’ll end up with a thick and not so flavorsome gravy. If you probably get stuck at this point, don’t feel bad because today I’ve got a pretty good if not one of the best Chicken Rezala Recipes on the internet! Do remember that this is the quick and easy style, though. But all I did was to skip the marinating process but other than that I did follow all the other steps while making this awesome chicken recipe.
If you follow what I did step by step, you’ll be enjoying fantastic Chicken Rezala too!
First of all, you need to place a kadhai on low heat and add the oil. Then add the whole spices and sauté until fragrant.
Next, add the ginger and garlic paste, onion paste and cashew nut and poppy seeds paste and sauté till oil separates and the raw smell of the spices disappear.
Add curd and stir in well. Spices and curd need to be combined well.
Add Chicken Pieces and stir well. Coat the pieces of meat well with the spices and curd. Add salt, add water and place the cover on the kadhai. Cook for 20 minutes on low heat on low flame. Do remember to stir from time to time.
Add the garam masala powder after 20 minutes are up and stir in carefully. Place lid on again and let the curry simmer on low heat.
While the curry is simmering, slice up one large onion into rings and sauté on medium heat with two dried red chilies. Add a pinch of salt to this so that the onion rings will release their water quickly.
When onion rings are translucent and have released most of their water, add the curry and stir in. Cover the kadhai and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more. When you see oil floating to the top of the gravy, add the drop of meetha attar and stir. Turn off the heat and serve hot and hot! Your Chicken Rezala is done and should look exactly like this.
Here’s the list of ingredients you’ll need to make Chicken Rezala:
- Chicken - 750 Grams cut in Medium Size Pieces
- Curd - 1 Cup
- Ginger Paste - 1 Teaspoon
- Garlic Paste - 1 Teaspoon
- Onions - 3 Medium; 2 Boiled First and Made into a Paste and 1 Sliced into Rings
- Cashew Nut and Poppy Seed Paste - 1 Teaspoon
- Cloves - 4 to 5
- Green Cardamom - 4 to 5
- Cinnamon - 2" Stick
- Garam Masala Powder - ⅓rd Teaspoon
- White Pepper Powder - ⅓rd Teaspoon
- Dried Red Chilies - 2 Large
- Oil - 3 Tablespoons + 1 Tablespoon
- Meetha Attar - 1 Drop
- Water - ¾th Cup
- Salt - To Taste
- Sugar - ½ Teaspoon
- Place a thick base kadhai on low heat and add the oil.
- Add whole garam masala and sauté till fragrant. Be careful not to brown or burn the garam masala.
- I blended the ginger, garlic, boiled onions, cashew nuts and poppy seeds together since this is quick and easy chicken rezala!
- Add ground ginger, garlic, boiled onions, cashew nuts, white pepper and poppy seeds to the oil and sauté till the oil separates or till the raw smell of the spices disappears.
- Stir in curd, little at a time. The curd and spices need to combine very well into a smooth gravy.
- Drop in chicken pieces and stir well. Ensure that the pieces of meat are coated well with the gravy.
- Add salt, add ½ cup of water and stir.
- Place cover on kadhai and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the lid and add the garam masala powder. Place lid on again and let the curry simmer.
- In a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and drop in the onion rings and red chilies and sauté on medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes till onion rings are translucent and have released most of their water.
- Add the sautéed onion rings and red chilies to the rezala and cook for a maximum time of 10 to 12 minutes more.
- For rezala, a thin gravy is preferable so check the consistency of gravy and add water or evaporate excess water as needed.
- When oil starts to float on top of the Chicken Rezala gravy, you'll know that your awesome curry is ready.
- Add the drop of Meetha Attar and stir. Turn off heat and let the rezala sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with rumali roti or paratha!
So there you have it! Quick and easy Chicken Rezala! The aroma which fills your dining room when you serve this chicken curry is unimaginable!
Do make this recipe and do let me know how it turns out for you! Enjoy!