Tomato Bharta – Easy Vegetarian Recipe
I got these amazing, red, plump and firm tomatoes for a real deal of a price a few days back. I did not want to cook the very flavor and life out of them by popping them into some curry so I made some nice juice of a few, enjoyed some in a salad and the rest I made into what is called Tomato Bharta! This is a pure vegetarian recipe which has absolutely no oil in it. And above all, it’s not made with fried or roasted but rather steamed tomatoes! It does seem odd that it’s a recipe that I love when every other recipe I post is laden with ghee, butter, and oil but it’s one super delicious recipe and is so refreshing. It just cuts the richness of the chicken curries and palaos completely.
It’s such a pity that these lovely tomatoes are only found in winter and spring in India when eating in summer can be such an ordeal with the relentless Indian summer beating down on us with all its force and eating then can be really quite difficult.
- Tomatoes - 5 Plump Ones
- Onion - 1 Small Finely Chopped
- Green Chilies - 1 Finely Chopped
- Fresh Coriander - ¼th Cup Finely Chopped
- Salt - To Taste
- Sugar - ¾th Teaspoon
- Wash and place tomatoes in a deep enough bowl in which to steam them. Cover bowl and place in a pressure cooker to steam for 4 whistles with the heat on medium-high.
- Once done, remove from the bowl and cool them down completely.
- Once cooled remove the skin of the tomatoes and mash the tomatoes into a pulp.
- Leave some lumps of tomato whole while mashing the tomatoes as this will add a nice texture to the bharta.
- Add chopped chilies, coriander and onion to the tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add salt and sugar and mix. Check seasoning and adjust if needed.
- And that's it! Your Tomato Bharta is ready!
I do hope that you make this recipe! It’s fantastic!