Healthy Soup Recipe – Wonton Soup
After the amount of excellent food I had eaten during Christmas and New Years, my tummy was crying out for a break! So my go to recipe for healthy food is a super light and healthy soup recipe called wonton soup. It has all the flavor and goodness of fresh vegetables as well as the comfort of a simple chicken stock. The little floating wontons make this chicken soup are fun to eat and a little filling too. Big eaters like me really feel satisfied after a bowl of this wonder soup!
I made the wonton wrappers from scratch. I somehow feel that they are healthier than the store-bought ones as homemade wrappers do not contain any preservatives. And if I had to go and buy wonton wrappers from a store, I would have had to travel 7 km, battle the Kolkata crowds, traffic, pollution, argue about the price and walk from shop to shop in a crowded market called New Market, till I found what I wanted, where the sellers are known to be so polite and welcoming! Nope! making the wrappers at home was the best and most peaceful option. And the wontons turned out fine! See the pic below and judge for yourself!
And if you still don’t believe that I made them at home, take a look at the next pic which shows near perfect (okay I’m kidding about the near perfect part) envelope shaped wontons lined up before I popped them into the soup!
You can make the same in your home too! Of course, your wontons will be better shaped than mine! This soup recipe actually does not contain any oil. Whatever oil you see floating on top of the soup in the picture os from the Chicken Stock. I should have removed it but this much chicken fat never hurt anyone!
Let me now give you the very detailed recipe of this simple Wonton Soup.
- Wonton Wrappers - 16 Wrappers, Roughly 2" Squares
- Chicken Mince - 250 Grams
- Oyster Sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- Ginger - 1 Teaspoon Grated
- Salt - To Taste
- Black Pepper - ¼th Teaspoon
- Carrots - ½ Cup Finely Chopped
- Beans - ½ Cup Finely Chopped
- Fresh Green Peas - ¼th Cup
- Spring Onions - ¼th Cup Finely Chopped
- Chicken Stock - 3 Cups
- Add the Chicken Stock to a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the Chopped Carrots and Beans and boil for 5 minutes on a medium-high flame.
- Add ½ Teaspoon of Grated Ginger, Salt as per your preference and ¼th Teaspoon of Black Pepper and stir well.
- Add Fresh Green Peas and boil on medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- When the Vegetables are ½ done, we'll add the Wontons.
- Mix ¼th Teaspoon of Salt and 1 pinch of Black Pepper into the Chicken Mince and mix well.
- Add ¼th Teaspoon of Grated Ginger and the Oyster Sauce into the Chicken Mince and mix well.
- Add about a Teaspoon of the Chicken Mince in the middle of the Wonton Wrappers.
- Wet one side of the inner edge of the Wonton Wrapper and fold Wonton into a triangle.
- Press down gently on the edges so that the Wonton is completely sealed.
- Place your finger in the middle of the triangle and then fold the two side corners of the triangle, over your finger, and press the two very edges of the two corners together very gently.
- Your Envelope Shaped Wonton is ready! Repeat the same steps for the rest of the Wontons.
- Drop them into the Soup when the vegetables are ½ done.
- If the vegetables mash under the back of the spoon under a reasonable amount of pressure, you will know that they are ½ done.
- The Wontons will start to come to the surface of the soup within 10 minutes of dropping them in.
- Allow the Wontons to cook for a total time of 15 minutes and this super healthy soup is complete.
- Add the Chopped Spring Onion and stir. the Spring Onion will cook in the residual heat of the soup.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
For those of you brave enough and enthusiastic enough to make Wonton Wrappers at home, here is the recipe for you! This is my recipe exclusively which I use for all the Asian Inspired dumplings which I make. Some Wonton wrappers use egg but I’ve tried and tested this Wonton Wrapper recipe time and time again and they’ve turned out perfectly!
- Plain Flour – 1 Cup
- Cornflour – 1 Heaped Tablespoon
- Water – 1/2 Cup
- Knead Flour and Cornflour till a smooth and firm dough ball consistency is reached.
- Place Dough on a work surface dusted with Flour and roll out till a nice thin sheet is achieved.
- Sheet should be as thin as possible without it tearing as the Wonton wrapper will swell up a little when cooked.
- With a pizza cutter, cut the sheet into roughly 2″ squares or rectangles. These are your Wonton Wrappers!
- Repeat process until all the dough has been used up.
- And there you have it! Your very own Homemade Wonton Wrappers!
If you follow these steps mentioned above, you’ll be slurping on Wonton Soup in no time!
That’s it for this recipe! I hope you will try to make this simple Wonton Soup Recipe soon!